A rather silly thought the occurred to me, in the vein of Semiotic Unstandard: orchestrating secretive / clandestine missions against the weird and unknown through the smokescreen of a Pokémon role-playing forum. Handlers are gym leaders; agents are their teams of individual Pokémon. Leadership are the Elite 4 and Champion. Different regions or specific gym leaders might mean something, I didn't think that far ahead.
Threat information is encoded in 'incoming challenger' character profiles. The first Pokémon on the team (or the first type, if they are dual-typed) will indicate the primary nature of the threat, with subsequent types and clusters thereof acting as additional information. Additional variables are denoted by the trainer class
With the amount of material available, I'm certain you can get very, very granular and specific if you want to. Known threats would likely have their own three-pokemon combos that are read differently from the normal threat cipher (Cthulu as Tentacruel-Dragonite-Drowzee?) but this, I think, is a fine-enough sketch to start with.
- Normal - Placeholder; used to break up groups of traits
- Grass - Biological threat
- Fire - Active / ongoing threat
- Water - Biological threat (aquatic)
- Flying - Mobile & uncontained
- Electric - Phenomenological anomaly
- Fighting - Human threat
- Rock - Threat item
- Ground - Threat area
- Bug - High or increasing number / severity
- Poison - Pathogen or infection
- Psychic - Consciousness alteration / memetic threat
- Ghost - Non-material entity
- Ice - Threat is currently stable but liable to go hot
- Dark - Threat unknown, proceed with caution; other type markers are conjecture if paired
- Steel - Technological threat
- Fairy - Confusingly looks like something else; Fuck this in particular
- Dragon - Major threat; immediate action required
- Egg - No threat yet; observe to determine risk
- Glitch - FUCK
- Youngster / Lass - Baseline; no special circumstances
- Bug Catcher - Capture target if possible
- Ace Trainer - Agent already in field
- Twins - Double cell deployment
- Psychic - Enemy sorcerer
- Sailor - International travel
- Rocket Grunt - Undercover (organized crime)
- Hiker - Wilderness travel
- Gentleman - Rich bastard alert
- Biker - Long distance, in-country travel
- Engineer - Urban environment
- Expert - High difficulty
- Pokemaniac - We actually have good intel this time.
- Hex Maniac - Cult Shit (TM)
- Ruin Maniac - Deep Time Mysteries (TM)
- Beauty - Person-of-Interest
- Dragon Tamer - One (1) bailout is available.
- Parasol Lady - Shitstorm forecasted.
- Blackbelt - Combat mission or raid.
- Officer - Police on the take.