Saturday, August 28, 2021

Post 400: DOG GOD DELUXE

 

click here for the goods

 

SALVE ITA EGO SUM CANIS

DOG GOD has returned, almost a full year since its first installment. Volumes 1 and 2 have been properly scanned (no more shitty phone photos!) and compiled with the material I had made for Vol. 3 (which I had made enough of to bleed over into a fourth if I wanted), resulting in a handsome 52 pages of magazine cutups for your inspiration needs. 

I promise nothing but jank (all befitting the name of DOG GOD, of course), but I am happy with the end result. Cutup and blackout are woefully underutilized in this sphere, and hopefully this might inspire folks to recycle some of their old magazines. I'd love to see some DOG APOCRYPHA floating around out there.

DOG GOD is here. All hail DOG GOD.

 

**

 

I had been planning on a reflection post, since 400 posts leaves a whole lot of material to look back on, but to be very up front about things 2021 has not been a particularly good year, personally or creatively. A thousand thousand little stresses have built up upon each other and been compounded by the total loss of any sense of the passage of time. Periods of burnout seem to come more frequently and with greater intensity. My drafts folder becomes a graveyard, my words slabs of lead dropping lifeless to the ground. I cut trenches in the earth trying to push the boulder uphill. Attempts at running games fizzle out on contact. On a good day, it feels like I'm just treading water. I find myself asking "What am I doing? Why am I even doing it? Is it even fun anymore?" with alarming regularity.

Now, before I get too far down the rabbit hole, this is not my first time with hobby burnout and past experience should help in averting the worst of it. I've still got products that I care about (and some of it is, quite good I think.), but the pacing, for the time being, is due some shake up and some refocusing. Unicorn Meat will happen, I promise, and it's not like I'm going to run out of draft ideas any time soon.

When your brain tells you to slow down and take a break, take a break.

 

4 comments:

  1. For real, the lack of cutups is bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DOG GOD and cutups Are great!

    I'm sorry you're feeling burnt out man. You wrote about it real pretty tho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seconded! Always love to stop by and read your latest posts. Hope you’ll feel better <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. The funny little images with new text are my favorite. The gibbering horror screaming "ALL SHOULD BE NORMAL AGAIN" at the little cartoon viking is still so hillarious to me

    ReplyDelete